God Designed the Earth Just Right
December 22, 2010
It is the only planet in the solar system that is habitable (that means “just right” for people to live there).
The Earth is a very special place designed by God for people—there is not another place in our entire solar system like it. God created the earth about 6,000 years ago, with plenty of air, water, and plants to support life.
It was not just a hunk of rock that accidentally came together 4.5 billion years ago, as you may be taught at school, in books, at museums, or on TV.
No, the Bible says God spoke the earth into being (see Genesis 1).
Five Things Make the Earth the Only Known “Habitable Planet” in the Universe
- The Earth’s distance from the sun is just right. The sun warms the Earth,`and it is not too hot or too cold—it is just right
- The Earth’s tilt on its axis is ideal for life.
a. If it were tilted any more, the temperature would swing too much between super-hot summers and super-cold winters.
b. If it were tilted any less, too much sunshine all year long would super-heat the equator and too little heat would reach the north and south regions.
- Liquid water is necessary for life to exist. The Earth is the only planet with enough liquid water—consider the oceans, lakes, rivers, and streams.
- The size of the Earth is perfect for maintaining the gravity we need so we don’t float away or get crushed. We can walk and run with ease. Many other planets don’t have the right amount of gravity for us to live there.
- The Earth has a magnetic shield around it that protects life from the sun’s harmful rays.